Sometimes sleep alludes the best of us. Nothing is more refreshing to the mind, body, and soul than a good night’s sleep. Sleep is even important and necessary for the brain as the body decompresses, stores memories, and detoxifies as we sleep soundly. Unfortunately, for far too many, getting a good night’s sleep is sometimes an impossibility. It can be difficult to get your brain to slow down and let go of the stresses of the day. It can also be difficult to lie awake and think of all that needs done or all that did not get completed the day before. No matter what is keeping you up at night, aromatherapy can help. Below are a couple of do it yourself options for aromatherapy techniques to ease your mind and pull you into a deep, relaxing, restful sleep that will allow you to rest and let your body prepare to take on whatever comes the next day. Read on to learn how to improve your sleep quality with two simple and easy to use aromatherapy options.
Aromatherapy Pillow Mist
This mist is simple to make and use each night that you are struggling to sleep. All you need is a small spray bottle, rubbing alcohol, distilled water, and essential oil (lavender and chamomile are best). Then follow the steps below.
- Fill the spray bottle with half rubbing alcohol and half distilled water. Make sure to leave a bit of room at the top for mixing.
- For each ounce of liquid your spray bottle holds, add ten drops of each essential oil. This means for a three ounce bottle, add 30 drops. It is best to use a small bottle and just refill often.
- Now shake well to mix together.
- Spray the mist on your pillows just enough to get the scent, but not wet the pillow.
- Store the spray in a cool, dry space away from direct sunlight.
- Repeat as necessary at night to improve sleep.
*Note* This is also effective for children who have nightmares. Use the same recipe and label it monster spray. Have them spray it around each time they wake up from a nightmare.
The scent is what helps you relax enough to rest. So, using a diffuser can be beneficial at nighttime as well. Some diffusers can have oil added and a slight mist is released at set intervals. This is an option that can improve sleep through the night. If using this option, review the essential oils below that are most likely to help you rest and relax.
- Sweet Marjoram
- Clary Sage
Now you can sleep well and tackle the next day well rested.